Positioning Your Product for the Holidays Using Press Releases
When advertising for the holiday season, consider that advertising rates are usually at their peak in the fourth quarter. Distributing a press release can be a low cost alternative to the high cost of traditional advertising.
The media crave newsworthy stories every day and their appetite for holiday themed items is seemingly unquenchable. You, your company, and your product can easily fill that media void.
Try distributing a press release with a little sprinkling of holiday magic.
- Does your company contribute to a holiday charity? A charity contribution is your company's opportunity to help a needy cause, as well as to obtain a tax break and create a great basis for a holiday press release.
- Do you have unique decorating ideas for the holidays using your products? By all means let everyone know. Hold a festive event showcasing your product. Be sure to send out a press release to announce the upcoming event and another one to re-cap the highlights of it afterwards.
- Can your product add a twist to the usual holiday party? Create new and exciting recipes using your product. Perhaps your product could spice up the invitations, the entertainment, or be a great hostess gift.
- Does your company hold an annual holiday contest? Even something as simple as a children’s coloring contest is a reason to send out a press release.
- Can’t think of anything to get that person who has everything? Worried about getting that perfect present? Maybe you’re not alone. Do you offer the best “last minute gift” or the best “gift under 20 dollars?” Don’t pass up on an opportunity to get the word out.
- Can your product or service help manage the stresses of the holiday season? Can your product help rid a tired shopper of holiday strain? Think about the problems you can solve for your customers during the holidays.
- Did a celebrity stop by your store recently? Book signings, demonstrations, or even a visit from Old St. Nick can prove newsworthy.
When deciding on a theme for your press release, think like the media. Is the information useful? Newsworthy? Of interest to their audience? Or is it merely an advertisement for your product? During this time of year you have to constantly work to keep your name in the forefront of your customers’ minds. Think creatively and be persistent. You never know what the media will pick up on next.